NBA Lord's NBA Blog

NBA Lord's NBA Blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Tomahawk Tuesday: Zion Williamson's debut is overhyped

                                          (Credit: NBA.com. NBAE/Getty Images) 

On Wednesday, New Orleans Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson will make his NBA debut against the San Antonio Spurs. Game time is 9:30 PM EST on ESPN for those that want to tune in. Speaking of ESPN, if you've been watching ESPN this week like I have (E.g. Australian Open), you've seen a lot of adds about Zion's debut and the hype around this game. I don't want to be a kill joy for those that are excited about this, but if I can be real, I don't think this is that big of a deal.

I understand Zion's a number one overall pick and that he's been compared to LeBron James and other surefire hall of fame players, but that is precisely why I want everyone to pump the brakes on this. Zion hasn't played in a real NBA game yet and for the second consecutive year has missed time due to precautionary reasons. I mean, his handlers had to sign off that Wednesday night against the Spurs would be the date as if he's a prized fighter that doesn't want to get hurt in the ring.

I'm not saying Zion is soft and pampered, but then again I kinda am. No, I'll be more definitive. I think he's soft and pampered. Everyone has said this dude will be the next great player in the NBA and quite honestly, he hasn't yet done anything to back up the hype. Instead, he keeps finding ways to put off his debut, avoid playing, as if the grass is greener somewhere else.

I understood it at Duke because he didn't want to get hurt before the NBA draft, but he's in the NBA now. The vibe I'm getting is that he doesn't want to be in New Orleans for the long-term and that he just wants to make sure he doesn't get hurt so as to not ruin his chances of playing for the Bulls, Knicks, or Lakers when he hits free agency.

Maybe I'm off my hinges, but this is how I read the situation. Zion is a very talented player with a ton of upside, but there are legitimate questions about his work ethic, his diet, and his commitment to the New Orleans Pelicans organization. Just like how there were questions about his commitment to Duke when he went down with that blown-out shoe. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and turn out to be a really good NBA player, but for now, he has to back up the hype. Enough of the commercials. Go out there and hoop.

To connect with NBA Lord on Twitter, click here

To connect with NBA Lord on Facebook, click here

To connect with Ben Parker, click here






No comments:

Post a Comment