Thursday, August 14, 2014
11 must see games of the 2014-15 NBA season
1. Tuesday, October 28, 2014---Dallas Mavericks @ San Antonio Spurs (8:00 PM ET on TNT)
As is fitting, opening night of the 2014-15 NBA season will feature the defending NBA champion San Antonio Spurs with a championship ring ceremony! The Spurs deserve to be slotted as the feature game on opening night and they have a quality opponent in the Mavericks to face them. Last season, Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks took the Spurs to a Game 7 in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs, and I'm sure they will be eager to spoil the Spurs' opening night as some form of revenge. If you are looking for a fun and competitive game early on in the NBA season, this will be a game to watch.
2. Thursday, October 30, 2014--- New York Knicks @ Cleveland Cavaliers ( 8:00 PM ET on TNT) If you follow the NBA at all, you know that LeBron James left the Miami Heat to return home to play for the Cleveland Cavaliers. If you want to see LeBron's first game back in Cleveland as a Cavalier, then you will not want to miss this game.
3. Wednesday, November 5, 2014--- Los Angeles Clippers @ Golden State Warriors (10:30 PM ET on ESPN) You should watch all four Clippers-Warriors games this year because all of them are sure to be intense and filled with high drama. Expect Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan to throw down 100 dunks and also expect Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson to knock down 100 threes during these four games. Since this is the first of those four, this makes the list as one of the eleven games to watch this year (Note: Clippers and Warriors also will play on Christmas Day) .
4. Friday, November 14, 2014---San Antonio Spurs @ Los Angeles Lakers (10:00 PM ET on ESPN). If you want an early read on how good the Lakers should be, this will be a good game to watch. If they have any chance of being relevant, they will at least play the Spurs close at home on ESPN.
5. Monday, November 17, 2014---Chicago Bulls @ Los Angeles Clippers (10:30 PM ET on NBA TV)
If you want an early look at the Bulls with Derrick Rose back while also watching them face a fun team, then it can't get much better than watching the Bulls take on the Clippers. Also, Pau Gasol will be making a return to Staples Center as a member of the Bulls.
6. Wednesday, November 19, 2014 --- San Antonio Spurs @ Cleveland Cavaliers (7:00 PM ET on ESPN) This is a must see game because it is LeBron's first game of the year against the Spurs who knocked him out in the NBA Finals last season. Also, this game will be an early test for the Cavaliers who are favored by many to win the Eastern Conference thanks to the addition of Kevin Love as well as LeBron James.
7. Christmas Day---Watch all of the games, but if you have to pick one, don't miss Cleveland Cavaliers @ Miami Heat (5:00 PM ET on ABC) When I say watch all of the games on Christmas Day, I'm being completely serious. The NBA has hijacked Christmas, and I'm totally fine with that. All the games on Christmas will be wonderful presents for me, but Cavaliers @ Heat is the most interesting game because it is LeBron James' return to Miami.
8. Wednesday, January 7, 2015--- Phoenix Suns @ Minnesota Timberwolves (9:30 PM ET on ESPN). The Suns are a fun team to watch, but all eyes will be on the Timberwolves with their franchise centerpiece Andrew Wiggins, who went #1 in the 2014 NBA draft. If you want to see how Wiggins looks now that he'll have had several NBA games under his belt, turn this game on.
9. Thursday, January 15, 2015--- New York Knicks @ Milwaukee Bucks (3:00 PM ET on NBA TV). If you want to watch the #2 overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft Jabari Parker and the Bucks play on national television, there aren't many options. This is the best option because it is against the Knicks who will be an interesting team to follow this season. If you are out at work, DVR this one. It should be fun.
10. Wednesday, April 1, 2015--- Brooklyn Nets @ New York Knicks (7:30 PM ET on NBA TV). February is the most boring month of NBA basketball with the exception of All-Star Weekend due to none of the games having any real meaning. As for March, everybody is rightfully tuned in to the NCAA Tournament. But once April comes around, the NBA regains momentum with the playoffs in sight. The Knicks and Nets are creating a fun rivalry out in New York and this game could have some playoff implications.
11. Wednesday, April 8, 2015--- Toronto Raptors @ Charlotte Hornets (7:00 PM ET on ESPN). This one I know seems like an odd game to make the list, but hear me out. At this time of year, you want to see games that mean something and are entertaining. This game should provide both of those needs for you. The Hornets and Raptors will be in the middle of a playoff chase at this time of year and they are both fun teams to watch. Plus, watching this game ensures that you will have seen the new look Charlotte Hornets.
---Ben Parker: follow me on twitter @nba_lord